This week’s show (our eighth one! Wow, “eighth” is a really weird word) featured a quick over-the-phone-at-a-McDonald’s-from-somewhere-between-Toronto-and-Windsor conversation with Steve St. Pierre from local alt-country foursome Old Crowns, who have recently embarked on their first-ever tour:
Steve St. Pierre from Old Crowns – phone-in (click to listen, right-click to save file)
They’ll be back in the nation’s capital this Friday the 23rd with tour mate Brett Caswell and Sudbury’s Life Blown Open at the Elmdale Tavern — doors are at 9:30pm and it’s only five bucks.
This week’s playlist:
Boxer The Horse – Mind Eraser
Tim Gilbertson – Second Opinions
Old Crowns – Two Birds
Loon Choir – Bricks
The Gallop – Been Spoiled Ripe
Sandman Viper Command – Strawberry Quick
Eastborough – Shuffle and Slide
Local Natives – Wide Eyes
Bloomistry – The All About A Girl
Mother’s Children – What’ll Happen To All The Girls
Dance Movie – Light Bright Tonight
As I briefly mentioned last week, we’ll be continuing with our “Weekly Import” feature — ’twas Silver Lake/LA’s Local Natives this week (think Vampire Weekend, but a little more mature and streamlined… definitely worth checking out). Also, there are some listings that I definitely need to fix/update/add to. Here’s whatch’ya better be checking out this weekend (and for weeks to come):
- Shapes and Sizes (Montreal) and Braids (also from Montreal, but originally Calgary) at Zaphod’s on Wednesday, July 21st (eight bucks, 8pm) — that’s tonight!
- Royal Canoe (Winnipeg), Giant Hand (Ottawa), and The Amalgamation (also Ottawa) at Zaphod’s on Thursday, July 22nd (eight bucks, 8pm)
- Bravestation (Toronto), Loon Choir (Ottawa!), and Trevor James and the Perfect Gentlemen (Montreal) at Cafe Dekcuf, on Friday, July 23rd (I got the wrong date earlier, oops — eight bucks, 9pm)
- Old Crowns (Ottawa!), Brett Caswell (Barrie), and Life Blown Open (Sudbury) at the Elmdale Tavern on Friday, July 23rd (five bucks, 9:30pm)
- Sandman Viper Command (Toronto/Burlington), The Panama (Ottawa), Ornaments (Ottawa) at Cafe Dekcuf on Saturday, July 24th (six bucks, 8pm)
- In-Flight Safety (Halifax), Right By Midnight (Ottawa), and The Gallop (Ottawa) at Zaphod’s on Monday, July 26th (ten bucks in advance, 8pm)
- Kele (of Bloc Party, from the UK) and Jessica 6 (Brooklyn) at the Capital Music Hall on Friday, July 30th has been cancelled — PunkOttawa.com says refunds are available at point of sale
- Dog Day (Halifax) and Apollo Ghosts (Vancouver) at Raw Sugar Cafe on Thursday, August 5th (ten bucks, 8:30pm)
- New Teeth (Ottawa), Cotton Mouth (Montreal), Nightwood (Montreal), The Gallop (Ottawa) at Cafe Dekcuf on Friday, August 6th (six bucks, 8pm)
- Forest City Lovers (Toronto) at Raw Sugar on Friday, September 17th (ticket price tba, 8:30pm)
I also talked about i(heart)music‘s 5th annual festival — check out the incredible lineup (including Ottawa faves Old Crowns, Loon Choir, Giant Hand, Paramedics, and The Love Machine… and awesome Arts & Crafts-ers Still Life Still and The Most Serene Republic) and get more info about the three-night Rideau Street party August 26th to 28th over here.
Enjoy the weekend! No, seriously; go check some of that stuff out.